Grandma and her boys

Sunday 13 May 2012

Mothers Day down under

To all my blogger friends in the southern hemisphere and those in USA of course.



My thoughts....

Mothers Day in May really does not work to well for me ... I was bought up with Mothers Day being in March in the Spring when the Daffodils  and Tulips were in bloom, my vision still remains  about small bunches of those flowers being given to you at Sunday School or Church  to take home for your Mum or Grandma ...they would be wilting in your hot little hands and as you gave them to your Mum there would be great smiles of joy when you handed them over .....

By the way Mothers Day was not a commercial day as Hallmark have since made it .... it was Mothering Sunday which was connected to the church calendar ... wonder who moved it to May ??  bet it was Hallmark again to sell more cards.... and now the retailers are having a field day advertising gifts in the hundreds and thousands of dollars on TV ....

Okay I am living in a dream world ... But it is Mothers Day and I am a MUM so  I am allowed.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely Laurie,happy mother's day to you.xx

Cheryll said...

Well what-ever you call it... I hope you have a great one! :)

Margaret said...

I was wondering how it became Mother's Day also.
In the Anglican church it was known as Mothering Sunday. I suppose Mother's Day accommodated all and took the real meaning away. Hope you had a nice day.