Grandma and her boys

Tuesday 26 August 2008

Two weeks today and counting


Two weeks today, I head off back to New Zealand to help with the final arrangements of Kathryn's wedding.



I have a list, yep! the perverbial list that has got us in the past all around the world, from camping when the kids were young, moving to Kuwait in 1977, changing countries 11 times, getting kids to Boarding School in UK with the right equipment needed for the term, and back to which ever country we were resident in at the time.


These lists were always a "Oh! no not another list" from the members of my family, especially the kids and including the wage earner sometimes, but without them I hate to think who would have gone where without what ?


So the trusty list is on the counter top and getting ready to be ticked off as I collect each item, or carry out each task written there.


So God bless the LIST.You can almost smell the heady sent of these flowers.....I have borrowed this picture from a blog I follow http://www.anorchardistquilting.blogspot.com/ for it is full of my favorite flowers grown in a place not far from our home, I hope Ali will not mind as they are so beautiful.

I also have a tub just outside of my Dining room in which I grow the self same flowers. The smell is just wonderful when they are all in bloom, I think spring is my most favourite time of year.


In NZ the cafe's make great cakes and scones, all home made....I have missed the scones and I am looking forward to sampling a few in the weeks I am back there.

These scones are fab...you should try them....

Lemony fruit scones
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1 8-oz. carton dairy sour cream
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
2/3 cup snipped dried apricots
2/3 cup snipped pitted dried plums (prunes)
1/2 cup powdered/ icing sugar sugar
2 to 3 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)


Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F.

Lightly grease a large baking sheet;

In bowl stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rub in butter to resemble coarse crumbs; set aside.
In bowl stir together sour cream, egg, granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the peel; add to flour mixture. combine just until moistened. Stir in apricots and dried plums.

Drop dough onto baking sheet (you can make as large or as small as required.)

Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly on rack.
For glaze, stir together powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel. Stir in enough lemon juice to make drizzling consistency; drizzle over scones. If desired, sprinkle with walnuts.

Serve with butter or cream or both.....and home made jam...yummeee!!

You just don't want or wish to know the calorie content !!!just enjoy them.

1 comment:

Ali Honey said...

I guess it is the ultimate compliment. That vase of Freesias and grape hyacinths has now been replaced by the next picking, which will in turn happen again while they are at their best. Ah Spring Flowers. The freesias are not bothered by all the rain we are having....unlike my iceland poppies which turn to mush very easily.
Those scones sound a bit different. I love lemon in things.