Grandma and her boys

Thursday 13 August 2009

Brussels sprouts

Okay! tell me what is your memory of Brussels Sprout,
most likely about the same as mine.
Soft over cooked bitter tasting vegetable.
My mother would cook them for hours until
the whole house reaked of the smell
and then we would have to eat one or two at lunch time.
I have visions of myself sat for hours at the table
after everyone else had departed under the threat
" You will eat them before you leave the table even if it is breakfast time"
Fear no more, I have found a great recipe,
I have now cooked it three times and each time given it to someone
who is not fond of them and they have enjoyed them.
***********************************************

Prepare 8 sprouts
3 or 4 rashers of bacon
a small onion chopped
Almond slithers.
Salt and pepper
Blanch sprouts for 5 mins, remove from water and drain.
Fry onions and chopped bacon until crisp in butter
Chop sprouts into half or quarters depending on size.
add to pan with onion and bacon stirfry for a few minutes
add almonds and serve.
This should feed 2 or 3 people as a vegetable.

1 comment:

Cindy Brown said...

That sounds wonderful, but I have always liked brussels sprouts! Here is another one for you to try-really quite delicious. From my son Donovan, the chef.

Fresh brussels sprouts (about 20 or so), sliced thin.

One package mushrooms (8 ounces?), also sliced.

2 cloves garlic, minced

Saute in butter or margarine, about 1/4 cup, until sprouts are soft and mushrooms are cooked.

Hmm, would be good with a little bacon in it too, but I haven't tried that yet.

Love your blog!

Cindy Brown