Grandma and her boys

Sunday 16 May 2010

Pincushion and baby gowns

A group of Embroidery guild ladies went on a day trip to Wahi on Saturday to visit with the Thames District Embroidery Guild
They put on a lovely day for us, we were asked to bring along something made by our Grand mother, I took along these gowns that my Grandma made for me before I was born.
The first one is a day gown full of lace and pin tucks so small it is difficult to see them and the other is a night gown they are both made of a delicate lawn cotton.... of course they are older than me.


************************************************

This pincushion is on it's way to a secret swap partner..
I designed it from the new book I bought a couple of weeks ago using the designs in the book but adapting them for myself.
I am so pleased with the outcome I have started another using the same technique.

3 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

Hi Laurie, it's such a shame that some of the skills from the past are not being past on as much these days and that treasures like your will become more and more rare. as for your pin cushion, it's delightful and I am sure your secret partner will love it.
hugs
Miche'le

Deb said...

Laurie, those gowns are absolutely stunning. So much nicer than the stretch n grows of these days. I had my children in smocked gowns, they were beautiful. I love your pincushion, I am sure your partner will be absolutely thrilled to bits with it when they get it.
hugs Deb

Cindy said...

Hi Laurie, i came to know about your blog thru Tiny Treasure Exchange, Too. Love the pincushion that you made for the exchange. Great job!