Grandma and her boys

Thursday 6 October 2011

Amazing how you see yourself in your children

A picture of scones that has nothing to do with this post other than it is food .... and makes the mouth water, think I may make some.

Now my Daughter is going to get fed up with me nicking her posts ...but I just have to show you this one...   Sometimes we see our self in our children, sometimes good sometimes bad ... this one I had a good laugh at ... things that you think do not make an enormous impression on your children at the time show they do when they come back in later life.

Now I grew up the eldest with 3 siblings and my mother was very hard on us in all sorts of ways and she ran a very tight ship, my Father was away at sea so she was in sole charge so to speak  ... but the one thing she did do was run a cafe in the kitchen not only for us kids but my Dad as well....

 I sometimes watched her cook 3 or 4 different meals at once pandering to all our likes and dislikes ... I vowed when I had kids this would not happen and it did not with in reason just as DD says in her blog ... Read on all will be revealed.


 NOT  A CAFE 
When I was little I always remember my mum saying at dinner time "this is it, I do not run a cafe"
Whatever was served for dinner was it, she was not making 26 different meals for 4 people just because 1 person didn't like/want/fancy whatever she had decided to cook for dinner.

Now I am a mum I am sticking to the same rule. After having to decide what is for dinner for the last 8 years, believe me when I say, I am not mucking around with dinner, this is it, like it or don't eat!

So we have stuck to the same rule, we cook one dinner and that is that.
However I am prepared to adapt what I am cooking, if it is simple, so everyone will eat this one dinner.

When the boys were younger they didn't like the chilli as hot as we did, so I cooked the chilli basic, took theirs out and then added more heat to ours. No worries there as we all still had the same thing just adapted slightly.

I have found 2 pasta bake sauces in the supermarket which we like. However Ben does not like them, so instead of not having this dinner anymore because of that, then I have adapted.
I cook the pasta and fry the chicken.
Then I serve his pasta into a bowl and place chicken on top. Then I tip the sauce into the remaining pasta along with the chicken and everyone else has pasta with chicken with sauce.

Both bowls then get baked in the oven and hey presto we have a dinner that everyone will eat and everyone is happy when going to bed as they are full and satisfied.
To me this is not bowing to their every whim, just adapting slightly to have a pleasant family dinner that everyone will eat which leads to a happy home environment.

Now if they said they didn't want it all together and wanted a totally different dinner then ........tough, this is dinner, eat it or starve!

From Kathryn @ Life Today


Gee it makes you proud as a Mum that something has made an impression on their life
What is they say ... if a guy wants to see his wife in 20 years time ...look at her Mother !!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol,i love it Laurie it made for a lovely read and i agree with everything you have said and love your daughter's ideas,well done girls.

sunny said...

what a good mum! When I was growing up, we all ate what was put in front of us. If we had leftovers the next night (which was rare) we were allowed to have something different, but only if we fixed it ourselves. My parents DID run a restaurant, but not at home!!